Keeping your Mind Healthy and what to do if you are Struggling
It's important to take care of yourself and get the most from life. Below are practical ways to look after your mental health. Making simple changes to the way you live doesn't need to cost a fortune or take up a lot of time. Anyone can follow this advice. Why not start today?
How to look after your mental health - top 10 tips
- Talk about your feelings - talking can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled
- Keep active - regular exercise can boost your self-esteem, help you concentrate, sleep, look and feel better. It keeps your brain and other organs healthy and is a significant benefit to improving your mental health
- Eat well - your brain needs a mix of nutrients in order to stay healthy and function well. A diet that's good for your physical health is also good for your mental health
- Drink sensibly - some people drink to deal with fear or loneliness, but the effect is only temporary, when the drink wears off you feel worse because of the way the alcohol has affected your brain. Drinking is not a good way to manage difficult feelings
- Keep in touch - there's nothing better than catching up with someone face to face, by phone, via the internet or dropping them a line. Keep the lines of communication open. It's good for you!!
- Ask for help - none of us are superhuman. We all sometimes get tired or overwhelmed by how we feel or when things don't go according to plan. If things are getting too much and you feel you can't cope, ask for help!!
- Take a break - a change of scene or a change of pace is good for your mental health. A few minutes can be enough to de-stress you. Give yourself some 'me time'!
- Do something you're good at - what do you love doing? What activities can you lose yourself in? What did you love doing in the past? Enjoying yourself can help beat stress
- Accept who you are - we're all different, it's much healthier to accept that you're unique than to wish you were like someone else. Feeling good about yourself boosts your confidence to learn new skills, visit new places and make new friends. Good self-esteem helps you cope when life takes a difficult turn.
- Care for others - caring for others is often an important part of keeping up relationships with people close to you. It also helps us to see the world from another angle, that can help to put our own problems in perspective. Caring for a pet can improve your wellbeing too.
Still Struggling? Need a bit of professional help?